This afternoon’s play transported us into an imaginary Lilliputian small-land and my little inhabitant, on a Gulliver’s travelogue. Together, the children added to their fantasy world unplugging their ideas from the rims of their most fertile imaginations. The finale creations were limited edition lego duplo “sushi bento sets” nearing dinner time…
The way a child wants to play is often very different from the way his parents want him to. Most times, our children know there are no limits to how they can express themselves through play…if we let them.
This evening, we share some of our favourite quotes on the importance of play. May it inspire each parent here to schedule in purposeful playtime everyday for the children.
1. “Almost all creativity involves purposeful play.” – Abraham Maslow
2. “You don’t remember the time your dad held the handlebars, you remember the time he let go.” – Lenore Skenazy
3. “Play is the work of the child.” – Maria Montessori
4. “Give childhood back to our children: If we want our offspring to have happy, productive and moral lives, we must allow more time for play, not less.” – Peter Grey
5. “It is a happy talent to know how to play.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
6. “Play gives children a chance to practice what they are learning.” – Mr. Rogers
7. “Children learn as they play. Most importantly, in play children learn how to learn.” – O. Fred Donaldson
8. “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.”-George Bernard Shaw
9. “Do not keep children to their studies by compulsion but by play.” – Plato
10. “Play is often talked about as if it were a relief from serious learning. But for children play is serious learning. Play is really the work of childhood.” – Fred Rogers
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.