For mommy me, it spells “comfort” to know that there’s a fantastic vegetable that blends in superbly and unobtrusively into the macaroni mesh. The cauliflower’s nuttiness and moistness actually enhances the creamy texture significantly. Incorporating a veggie that so effortlessly camouflages itself with its tubular counterparts, is invigorating to say the least. The kids get their cheese and carbs (aka filled stomachs) and I sneak in my cauliflowers- the perfect accomplice to this criminally good dish!
INGREDIENTS (modified fromwww.kitchentreaty.com)
2 cups macaroni
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 1/2 cups milk
3 cups grated medium cheddar cheese
3 cups of cauliflower
1. Boil the pasta until al dente. Drain and rinse with cool water to stop the cooking, and return to the pan you boiled it in. Set aside.
2. Steam your cauli florets, with a little olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper till just soft.
3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Over medium heat, melt the butter.Add the flour, salt, dry mustard, pepper. Stir constantly over medium heat for about three minutes.Stir in the milk.
4. Keeping on medium heat, whisk constantly for about 10 minutes, until the sauce thickens.Remove from heat, and stir in the cheese, stirring until melted. Lay the macaroni, combined with the steamed cauliflower. Pour the cheese sauce over the noodles and toss gently until all noodles are covered.
5. Bake for about 25-30 minutes.